Learn how to make spicy Kerala fish curry.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 - 30 minutes
Serves: 3 to 4 people
- Fish ,medium sized pieces-400 to 500 gms
- Kashmiri chili powder-2 to 2.5 tbsp(see notes)
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1/2 to 1 tbsp
- Fenugreek powder-1/8 tsp
- Black pepper powder-1/8 tsp
- Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
- Shallots,sliced-5 to 6 nos
- Ginger,crushed- 1.5 tbsp
- Garlic,crushed-1.5 tbsp
- Curry leaves-2 sprigs
- Kudampuli / Fish tamarind / kokum- 2 to 3 small pieces( soaked in water)
- Water-1 to 1.5 cups( or as required)
- Salt-to taste
- If you feel that the curry is a bit too tangy,remove the kokum pieces.
- Adjust the spice level according to your taste.Kashmiri chili powder gives a nice red colour to the curry without being too spicy.I used about 2.5 tbsp of kashmiri chili powder.If you are using regular chili powder,use according to your spice level.
- If you want to keep the curry for more than one day,avoid using coriander powder.
- Adjust the quantity of water according to amount and consistency of the gravy that you require.I used about 1 and 1/4 cups of water.
- You may also add 1 or 2 green chilies along with ginger and garlic,if desired.
Here is the video recipe for Kerala Fish Curry: