Recipe adapted from: www.holycowvegan.net
You can find the original recipe here
- Whole wheat flour- 1.5 cups
- All purpose flour- 1.5 cups
- Baking soda- 1/2 tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Warm water- 1.5 cups
- Active dry yeast- 1.5 tsp
- Sugar- 2 tsp
- Vegetable oil- 3 tbsp
- Combine together yeast,1/2 cup warm water and sugar in a bowl,Keep aside until it starts to froth ( for about 10 minutes)
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together whole wheat flour,all purpose flour,baking soda and salt until combined.Pour in the yeast mixture ,oil and warm water ( as required), and mix until combined.
- Knead well for atleast 7 to 8 minutes or until the dough is soft.
- Place the dough in a large greased bowl and brush the top with oil,cover with a kitchen towel and leave aside to rise in a warm place until doubled in volume( for about 2 hours)
- Punch down the risen dough with your fist and divide this into 6 equal parts and shape them into smooth balls.
- Place them onto a lightly greased baking tray dusted with semolina.Sprinkle sesame seeds on top and leave in a warm place until doubled in volume.
- Preheat oven to 180 Deg C and bake the buns for about 25 minutes or until the tops are lightly browned.
- Brush with oil ,if desired.
NOTE:Try these burger buns with chickpeas and spinach patties and hummus instead of the regular mayonnaise.( as in picture)